[GSOC] Introduction and Microproject

Srikavin Ramkumar srikavinramkumar at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 03:53:56 UTC 2021

Hi Elvira,

Thanks for the feedback.

On Sun Apr 11, 2021 at 2:02 AM, Elvira Khabirova wrote:
> Hello,
>

> On Mon, 05 Apr 2021 17:49:33 -0400
> "Srikavin Ramkumar" <srikavinramkumar at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I have finished my draft GSoC proposal [1]; I have also uploaded it in the
> > student dashboard. I would appreciate any questions or feedback.
> >
> > [1]: https://hackmd.io/@srikavin/SJSl2RaNd
>

> Your proposal looks elaborate and well thought out.
>

> Some things to consider:
>

> - We would appreciate if you used flex/bison for parsing syzlang instead
> of Python. This is more in line with the project's general style, and
> some might
> argue that using a specialized tool would be more appropriate for the
> task.

I would be comfortable with using either C with flex/bison or Python. I agree
that using a specialized tool for lexing and parsing regardless of language
choice is a good idea since it will reduce complexity and future maintenance
work.

However, I think string processing and code generation would be significantly
simpler with Python than with C. The downsides of using Python would also be
limited if the generated code is committed alongside modifications to the
underlying syzlang files. Is using C a hard requirement?

> - Your actual timeline will likely differ from the one you've drafted,
> because
> merging the changes usually takes as long as the main coding process.

I've made some changes to the timeline so that I have four total buffer weeks
that I can use for merging.

Thanks,
Srikavin