Q: long option aliases

Masatake YAMATO yamato at redhat.com
Thu Mar 5 00:30:52 UTC 2020

On Thu, 5 Mar 2020 03:12:14 +0300, "Dmitry V. Levin" <ldv at altlinux.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 02, 2020 at 09:15:35PM +0100, Eugene Syromiatnikov wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> The strace's master branch now includes commits that add long option
>> aliases for all of the existing options.  I'd like to ask for feedback:
>> do these aliases look natural/sensible, does the introduced syntax for some
>> options (like --quiet, --daemonize, --decode-fds, --absolute-timestamps)
>> make sense?
>
> Yes, they definitely look natural and sensible,

I agree with Dmitry.
The long options are not only sensible, but they are helpful
people who tries adding new features to strace when the
feature doesn't fit to -e option.

I'm thinking about adding a new feature decoding the symbol name
of signal handler whose address is passed to kernel via signal
system call. If I can only choose a short option, choosing a
letter for the feature becomes one of the most hard part of
developing the feature; both -s and -S are already used.

Masatake YAMATO