strace of io_uring events?

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Jul 23 13:37:40 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020, at 11:58 AM, Stefano Garzarella wrote:

> my use case concerns virtualization. The idea, that I described in the
> proposal of io-uring restrictions [1], is to share io_uring CQ and SQ queues
> with a guest VM for block operations.

Virtualization being a strong security barrier is in eternal conflict with maximizing performance.
All of these "let's add a special guest/host channel" are high risk areas.

And this effort in particular - is it *really* worth it to expose a brand new, fast moving Linux kernel interface (that probably hasn't been fuzzed as much as it needs to be) to virtual machines?

People who want maximum performance at the cost of a bit of security already have the choice to use Linux containers, where they can use io_uring natively.