[GSOC/RFC] configure script failing

Rohit Sarkar rohitsarkar5398 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 20:18:40 UTC 2020

Hey,
I am Rohit and interested in being a part of the strace community,
through gsoc.

I was trying to build strace from source and while running the configure
script I faced this error:

"
checking for m32 personality compile support (using gcc  -I.  -m32)... no
checking whether to enable m32 personality support... no
configure: error: Cannot enable m32 personality support
"

I am running a x86_64 system and using gcc as my compiler.

On doing some googling I found this thread: [1]

Adding the --disable-mpers flag to the configure script seemed to work.
(Need to figure out what is this mpers now!)

Aha: Found this [2]. I read up a bit about the Multiple Personality
feature and it seems super cool.

I presume my compiler doesn't have mpers support, but I think in this
case the configure script should either not fail or give an informative
error message asking to run the script with --disable-mpers.

Thanks,
Rohit

[1]: https://www.mail-archive.com/strace-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg08516.html
[2]: https://www.mail-archive.com/strace-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg04930.html