[GSoC] Introduction

Daniel Lim weesoong.lim at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 14:13:45 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I’m Daniel, and looking forward to contribute to strace through GSoC this year. I have used strace in several occasions for debugging programs, which is why I wish to contribute. I believe GSoC would provide me with a great opportunity to achieve this.

I am currently attempting to complete a microproject and have a question. While trying to build strace from source and running `make check`, I got the following test report:

Testsuite summary for strace 5.0.0.2.bf819-dirty
# TOTAL: 651
# PASS:  527
# SKIP:  103
# XFAIL: 0
# FAIL:  21
# XPASS: 0
# ERROR: 0

That’s quite a number of failures and I wonder if I should be concerned. This was ran on a Ubuntu Bionic vagrant box, output of `uname -a` is:

Linux ubuntu-bionic 4.15.0-46-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Wed Feb 6 09:33:07 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

That’s all for now. I hope to learn a lot from you guys!

Daniel