strace 4.21 released
Dmitry V. Levin
ldv at altlinux.org
Wed Feb 14 00:42:29 UTC 2018
Starting with version 4.13, strace follows the schedule of linux kernel
and new versions of strace are released along with new versions of linux
kernel, so strace 4.21 is tagged and uploaded.
strace 4.21 would not be as good as it is without significant assistance
by Eugene Syromyatnikov who contributed most of the changes included
in this release.
Due to a longer 4.15 kernel release cycle and two weeks of delay on top
of it, this release is a relatively big one. Some of interesting features
developed last summer are yet to be be merged, though.
$ git tag -v v4.21 2> /dev/null | sed -n '/^$/,$p'
NEWS for strace version 4.21
* Changes in behaviour
* Warning is now issued when -F option is used.
* Warning is now issued when a tracee with unsupported personality
* Unknown syscall numbers are now printed in hexadecimal form.
* Implemented decoding of netlink descriptor attributes as file descriptors.
* Implemented decoding of hugetlb page size selection flags.
* Implemented decoding of BPF_PROG_TEST_RUN, BPF_PROG_GET_NEXT_ID,
BPF_MAP_GET_NEXT_ID, BPF_PROG_GET_FD_BY_ID, BPF_MAP_GET_FD_BY_ID,
and BPF_OBJ_GET_INFO_BY_FD commands of bpf syscall.
* Enhanced decoding of get_thread_area, memfd_create, modify_ldt,
perf_event_open, reboot, s390_guarded_storage, s390_pcio_mmio_read,
s390_pci_mmio_write, s390_runtime_instr, s390_sthyi, set_thread_area,
and shmget syscalls.
* Implemented decoding of KVM_* and DM_LIST_DEVICES ioctl commands.
* Implemented decoding of riscv_flush_icache syscall.
* Enhanced decoding of getsockopt and setsockopt syscalls for SOL_NETLINK
* Enhanced decoding of BPF_MAP_CREATE command of bpf syscall.
* Print values returned by mq_open syscall and first arguments
of mq_getsetattr, mq_notify, mq_timedreceive, and mq_timedsend syscalls
as file descriptors.
* Added decoding of get_tls syscall on arm.
* Added -e trace=%pure option for tracing system calls with no arguments that
* Updated lists of IPV6_*, MAP_*, MEMBARRIER_CMD_*, MSG_*, NT_*, PKEY_*,
SHM_*, and TCP_* constants.
* Added manual page for the strace-log-merge command.
* Updated lists of ioctl commands from Linux 4.15.
* Implemented biarch support for s390x.
* Implemented an optional support for symbol demangling in strace -k output
(activated by --with-libiberty configure option).
* Information about availability of demangling and reliable personality
decoding (on architectures with multiple personalities) is now available
in strace -V output.
* Added decoding of pkey_alloc, pkey_free, and pkey_mprotect syscalls on
powerpc and powerpc64.
* Enhanced manual page.
* Bug fixes
* Fixed multi-personality support in cross builds.
* Added mq_getsetattr, mq_notify, mq_open, mq_timedreceive, and mq_timedsend
syscalls to %desc tracing set.
* Fixed path tracing support for mmap syscalls with indirect arguments and
for old select syscall.
* Fixed decoding of arm-specific (__ARM_NR_*) syscalls.
* Fixed open mode flags decoding.
* Fixed corner cases in handling of strace -ff -ttt logs by strace-log-merge.
* Error counts that exceed one billion are now printed correctly in call
* Fixed call summary header for x32 personality.
* Changes of tracee personalities are reported more reliably.
* Fixed the case when strace attaches to a tracee being inside exec and its
first syscall stop is syscall-exit-stop instead of syscall-enter-stop,
which messed up all the syscall state tracking.
* Fixed printing of higher 32 bits of the return value for x32 personality.
* A C compiler that supports "for" loop initial declarations is now required.
* Inability to configure multiple personality support on architectures where
multiple personalities are supported leads to configuration failure during
build now. Use --enable-mpers=check to revert to the old behaviour.
* Build-time requirement for the mpers support has been lowered from gawk 4
to gawk 3.
* Removed incomplete and non-functional support for the CRIS architecture.
* Removed incomplete and unused support for IA-32 mode on the IA-64
This release was made possible by the contributions of many people.
The maintainers are grateful to everyone who has contributed
changes or bug reports. These include:
Dmitry V. Levin
Rolf Eike Beer
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 801 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the Strace-devel