Decode fd_set into array of file descriptors

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Sat Dec 22 17:47:08 UTC 2018

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 06:59:10AM -0800, shankarapailoor wrote:
> >Do you suggest to print bit sets as if they were regular arrays
> of integer types?
>
> Yes that would be my suggestion. [a, b, c] could just mean a
> collection that consists of a, b, c. So an fd_set or signal mask
> represented as [a, b, c] seems just as interpretable to me as [a b c]
> even under bitwise operations like ~.

If you suggested to treat bitset as an array of bits, then it would have
to be an array of 1 and 0 - a thing that hardly could be useful.

Unfortunately, your suggestion would make traditional arrays and bitsets
look undistinguishable in strace output.  Could you think of a change
that wouldn't introduce that kind of regressions?