I: changing the license of strace to a copyleft license

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Sat Dec 15 00:34:58 UTC 2018

Hi,

Since the very beginning and up to now strace is distributed under the
terms of a BSD-3-Clause license, which is a permissive [1] software license.

This situation is going to change as I'm going to change the terms
of my future contributions to a copyleft [2] license.

My current plan is to provide strace test suite under the terms of
the GNU General Public License version 2 or later (GPL-2.0-or-later),
and to provide all the rest of strace under the terms of the GNU Lesser
General Public License version 2.1 or later (LGPL-2.1-or-later).

I could have chosen GPL-2.0-or-later for the whole project, but
this would complicate things in the future if we ever manage
to create a library out of strace.

You can find the proposed change at [3] and [4].

Thoughts?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permissive_free_software_licence
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft
[3] https://github.com/strace/strace/commits/ldv/license