strace 4.17 released
Dmitry V. Levin
ldv at altlinux.org
Wed May 24 21:35:40 UTC 2017
Starting with version 4.13, strace follows the schedule of linux kernel
and new versions of strace are released along with new version of linux
kernel. This time the release of strace is a couple of weeks later due
to my unavailability, but now strace 4.17 is tagged and uploaded.
strace 4.17 would not be as good as it is without significant assistance
by Eugene Syromyatnikov.
$ git tag -v v4.17 2> /dev/null | sed -n 's/ <.*//; /^$/,$p'
NEWS for strace version 4.17
* Changes in command line syntax
* Syscall classes specified in -e trace= option now have % prefix (like
-e trace=%process). Old style class names without leading % are still
supported, but considered deprecated now.
* Optimized syscall filtering.
* Improved representation of timestamps.
* Enhanced decoding of sched_setattr syscall.
* Added -e trace=%stat option for tracing variants of stat syscall.
* Added -e trace=%lstat option for tracing variants of lstat syscall.
* Added -e trace=%fstat option for tracing variants of fstat and fstatat
* Added -e trace=%%stat option for tracing syscalls used for querying file
status information (stat, lstat, fstat, fstatat, statx, and their
* Added -e trace=%statfs option for tracing statfs, statfs64 and statvfs
* Added -e trace=%fstatfs option for tracing fstatfs, fstatfs64 and fstatvfs
* Added -e trace=%%statfs option for tracing syscalls used for querying file
system statistics information (statfs-like, fstatfs-like and ustat).
* Added -e trace=/regex option for filtering syscalls using regular
* Added support for prepending of question mark before syscall qualification
in -e trace expressions in order to suppress error in case no syscalls
matched the provided qualification.
* Implemented decoding of signal mask in rt_sigreturn syscall on alpha, arc,
arm, avr32, bfin, cris, hppa, m68k, metag, microblaze, mips, nios2, or1k,
powerpc, powerpc64, riscv, sh, sh64, sparc, sparc64, tile, x86, and xtensa
* Implemented decoding of statx syscall.
* Implemented decoding of NS_* ioctl commands.
* Implemented decoding of the remaining V4L2_BUF_TYPE_* types.
* Implemented decoding of VIDIOC_[SG]_TUNER ioctl commands.
* Implemented decoding of NLMSG_ERROR netlink messages.
* Improved decoding of BPF_PROG_ATTACH command of bpf syscall.
* Improved decoding of misplaced parts in DM_* ioctl commands.
* Updated lists of ioctl commands from Linux 4.11.
* Bug fixes
* Fixed decoding of flags argument of preadv2 and pwritev2 syscalls on x32.
* Fixed the number of arguments and tracing flags of alpha specific syscalls.
* Fixed decoding of old sigsuspend syscall on alpha, cris, mips, powerpc,
powerpc64, sh, sh64, sparc, and sparc64.
* Fixed decoding of sgetmask and ssetmask syscalls on 64-bit architectures.
* Fixed decoding of netlink messages received within struct msghdr.
* Worked around a bug in miscompiled aarch64 kernels leading to the 3rd
argument of sched_getattr syscall being not quite 32-bit.
* Fixed corner cases of printing inaccessible times argument of utimes
and futimesat syscalls.
This release was made possible by the contributions of many people.
The maintainers are grateful to everyone who has contributed
changes or bug reports. These include:
Dmitry V. Levin
Md Haris Iqbal
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 801 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the Strace-devel