A: sched_xetattr.test fails consistently on aarch64

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Mon Mar 13 21:13:34 UTC 2017

Hi,

sched_xetattr.test introduced by commit v4.16-10-gf31755f
(tests: check decoding of sched_[gs]etattr corner cases)
consistently fails on aarch64.

At the same time the test passes on all other architectures
where strace is being tested regularly, both 64-bit
(alpha, ia64, mips64, ppc64, s390x, sparc64, x86_64)
and 32-bit (arm, hppa, mips, ppc, s390, sparc, x86).

The test failure is visible on debian, fedora, and obs farms:

http://www.einval.com/debian/strace/build-logs/arm64/2017-03-13-040306-log-asachi-TESTFAIL.txt
https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//work/tasks/5517/18365517/build.log
https://build.opensuse.org/public/build/home:ldv_alt/openSUSE_Factory_ARM/aarch64/strace/_log

The part of test that fails on aarch64 is this harmless syscall:

        sys_sched_getattr(F8ILL_KULONG_MASK, (unsigned long) attr,
	                  F8ILL_KULONG_MASK | sizeof(*attr), F8ILL_KULONG_MASK);

I wouldn't be very much surprised if the test has hit some subtle kernel
bug on aarch64.

However, I'm not an aarch64 expert myself, nor do I have the appropriate
aarch64 hardware to investigate, so this issue is not going to be solved
without your help.