Edgar Kaziakhmedov's GSoC status report - #1 of 13

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Mon Jun 5 22:37:01 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jun 05, 2017 at 09:54:29AM +0300, Edgar Kaziahmedov wrote:
> Hi, Strace Community
>
> Advanced syscall information tool
> Accomplishments:
> -> Edited configure and created Makefile.am's in tools and tools/asinfo
> directories to build multiple executables.
> -> Confirmed the final version of the first options to be used, tool
> provides two short and long parameters to make input more understandable
> $ asinfo --get-number[-n] write (will show all matches)
> 1 write
> $ asinfo --get-syscall[-s] 1 (vice versa)
> $ asinfo --get-kernel-file[-k] 1|write
> //path to the file with implementation in the running kernel
> $ asinfo --get-args[-a] 1|write
> ssize_t write(int fd, const void *buf, size_t count)
> $ asinfo --help[-h]
> //help
> /* keys for filter syscall will be added later */
>
> Speaking about multiarch support, I thought that there is no
> need in support all archs in the runtime. The arch could be determined
> while compilating for the current machine, because strace works this way
> and this tool is complementary for it.

strace project has developed an unique syscallent database that covers all
supported architectures, but hasn't developed a tool to query this
database - up to this moment the best tool available seems to be grep.
The main goal of "advanced syscall information tool" project
as I understand it is to implement this query tool, so it obviously
has to cover the whole syscallent database with all supported architectures.

By this time I expected to discuss a finalized UI design of the new tool,
not the very basic functionality.

Our syscallent database currently contains (for each supported
architecture) at least the following information about each syscall:
- syscall number
- syscall name
- number of syscall arguments
- syscall flags
In addition to this information, you also had an idea to provide
a syscall prototype.

All this information should be queryable, separately or in combinations.
This is the purpose of the tool as I see it.