Help with installing strace

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Thu Jul 20 21:35:31 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 10:39:07PM +0300, Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 06:33:22PM +0000, A B via Strace-devel wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> > I tried to install the latest version of strace a couple of days ago but I failed becauseI had not lcov installed. I found lcov-1.3 and installed it, strace complains that it isnot a version between 1.6  and 1.12. I tried to find one of those lcov versions, in vain.Does anyone know where to find one, please!?
> > Thank you!!
> >
> > kurt
>
> You don't need lcov to build and install strace.

In case you really want to build strace with gcov instrumentation
for code coverage, e.g. to collect strace code coverage yourself, similar
to https://codecov.io/gh/strace/strace, you indeed have to configure with
--enable-code-coverage option that requires lcov >= 1.6.
In case you use lcov > 1.12, e.g. the most recent lcov from
https://github.com/linux-test-project/lcov.git,
you need strace >= v4.18-97-gacd8671, too.

Note that strace built with gcov instrumentation is not suited for normal
use: it runs noticeably slower and produces a lot of *.gcno and *.gcda files.