Feature request: coloured output

Philip Withnall philip at tecnocode.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 15:41:18 UTC 2017

Hi,

I’ve got a feature request for strace: optional coloured output, which
would use ANSI escape sequences (on supported terminals) to embolden
and colourise various bits of the strace output to make it easier to
read. Some suggestions for the highlighting:
 • De-emphasise PIDs at the start of a line by putting them in grey
 • Emphasise syscall names by emboldening them
 • Emphasise error return values by colouring them red

If piping through to another program, or running on a terminal which
doesn’t support them, the escape sequences should not be used.

Thanks,
Philip

(Please include me in CC in any replies, as I’m not subscribed to the
list.)