Preparing for the next release: call for testing

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Mon May 30 16:07:47 UTC 2016

Hi,

There is quite enough good stuff accumulated in strace.git
since v4.11 so I think it's time to cut a new release.

This is going to be the most tested strace released so far,
with code coverage about 70% on x86_64.

Still, there have been quite a few changes since v4.11 that could have
caused regressions, so please test HEAD on all configurations you can.

Assuming that toolchain is recent enough, current HEAD is also expected
to pass "make check" when configured with --enable-gcc-Werror option.

Judging by the test results I have, current HEAD (v4.11-797-gbb9d683)
is expected to pass "make check" at least on the following architectures:
x86_64, x86, x32, aarch64, arm eabi, alpha, hppa, ia64, mips o32,
ppc, ppc64, s390, s390x, and sparc.

Mike, v4.11-797-gbb9d683 passes tests on all boxes you gave me access to.

Steve, according to http://www.einval.com/debian/strace/build-logs/,
v4.11-797-gbb9d683 builds on all configurations and passes tests on all
boxes except mips64el.  On mips64el, something must be severely broken
to fail tests that way.  Unless somebody is going to look into this really
soon, I'd rather not wait with the new release because of mips64el.