[GSOC] strace testing in docker at travis-ci.org

Yun-Chih Chen b03902074 at ntu.edu.tw
Thu May 12 11:55:02 UTC 2016

> My advice: do not run docker. I think this is a setting in the Travis file.
> Otherwise the number of indirections becomes a tad too large:
> Travis may itself run in VMs -> which runs containers --> in which
> your run QEMU ....
> A few too many moving parts IMHO.
>
> So your goal is to limit the number of these and remove docker from
> the equation.

Thanks for the advice.  Unwrapping these layers is a good idea.  But I
think it's still helpful to know why tests fail on those
architectures.  I had another repo that tests strace with
QEMU+schroot, although many QEMU segfaults are still present.

> As for the failure to build on various architectures, are you sure the
> toolchain you use is compiled with support for these? It looks like it
> from the Travis matrix though.

I can confirm that "gcc-4.6" ( in wheezy docker ), "gcc-4.9" ( in
jessie docker ) and "libc6-dev" are indeed installed within docker and
are not from Travis's Trusty box.  Please let me know if I'm mistaken.
( :

Thanks

Yunchih