Some questions about strace workflow.

Yun-Chih Chen cba840910 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 01:25:54 UTC 2016

Hi strace developer,

   This is Yun-Chih Chen, a sophomore from National Taiwan University
who is eager to tackle the "Multi-OS and multiarch continuous tests
infrastructure" topic of this year's GSOC.  Ever since my last
proposal to the mailing list, I've been having some progress in
solidating a solution.  But I'm stuck at some questions listed below
and I need your assistance:

    1. Why do we need to test strace on multiple Linux distro, which
run the same kernel?  I understand that different Linux distro have
different package base, different directory structure, etc.  But since
strace has few dependency and simple build flow, are the differences
relevant to us?
    2. What is strace's current development cycle?  Is it something like:
             Local development --> Run local test --> Push to Github +
SourceForge
             --> Pull request  --> Trigger Travis CI --> Run Codecov
             --> If everything is fine, merge into chunk
             --> ( some time later ) roll out a new release and push
*.tar.xz to SourceForge
             --> Maintainers of the strace package on Debian,
Archlinux, etc will pull the update from sf accordingly.

    It seems that the responsibility of this GSOC project is not only
making sure strace builds + runs smoothly on multiple platform, but
also coming up with a suitable workflow to speed up testing +
deployment.
    Any insight on our current workflow would be very helpful!!

    Sincerely,

Yun-Chih Chen