[GSoC 2016] Testing strace on multiple distro/architecture

陳耘志 cba840910 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 11:24:07 UTC 2016

Hello strace-developers:

    My name is Yun-Chih Chen.  I'm a Computer Science sophomore from
National Taiwan University.  As a system administration TA in our
department, I frequently use strace for debugging in our workstations.
I am eager to join the strace community and contribute as much as I
can do.  I'm interested in the "Multi-OS and multiarch continuous
tests infrastructure" idea and has been investigating solutions.
    As suggested in this blog post [ http://goo.gl/Ddeg2G ], it might
be a good idea to combine Travis CI and qemu to emulate different
architecture.  openSUSE build service also adopts qemu for emulation (
as seen in this doc: https://goo.gl/SBbP1Z ] and might give us more
flexibility in terms of running time.  As for testing on different
Linux Distro, Travis CI + Docker seems like a nice native solution.
    It seems that Open Build Service requires us to set up an
independent Linux box.  Conversely, Travis CI gives us an existing box
so that we only need to write scripts.  Does that mean we need
to"rent" a server in order to run OBS?  This does not seem like a good
idea.  Or create our own catridge on Openshift?  Any advice on this
topic?  Thanks in advance!!

Yun-Chih Chen