GSOC Queries : Structured Output

Philippe Ombredanne pombredanne at nexb.com
Tue Mar 8 16:42:35 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 3:27 AM, Vineet Purswani <vineetp at iitk.ac.in> wrote:
> On 6 March 2016 at 18:27, Vineet Purswani <vineetp at iitk.ac.in> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings strace Community,
>>
>> My name is Vineet Purswani and I am a fourth year Computer Science MTech Integrated student at IIT Kanpur, India. I am interested in knowing more about a project listed on strace GSOC ideas page - Structured output.
>>
>> I have a great interest in Computer Systems, specifically operating systems, computer architecture and cloud computing. I have worked on NACHOS to test some of the scheduling algorithms, demand paging techniques, implemented condition variables and semaphores. I did an architecture project to get my hands on over cache hierarchy techniques and branch & target predictors. I am currently working on computer security projects, wherein I have done control hijacking, privilege separation, learnt about several symbolic execution techniques like DART, KLEE & EXE. I have a basic knowledge of compiler design, databases, functional programming, machine learning and computer security as well. You can find my work here: https://github.com/vineetpurswani
>>
>> Kindly guide me as to how do I start working on this idea? Which bug fix/enhancement should I work on? Expectations in proposal?
>>
>> Kindly share any details that you would like to share or any questions that you may have for me regarding this GSOC project.
>>
>> Let me know what you think. Thanks a lot.
>>
>> Yours Sincerely
>> Vineet Purswani
>> IIT Kanpur

> Hi again,
> I am waiting keenly for your reply. Thanks in advance.
> Yours Sincerely,
> Vineet Purswani
> Junior Undergraduate
> Computer Science and Engineering
> IIT Kanpur

Welcome to strace!
structure output is not for the faint of heart as it would touch a
_lot_ of strace code. So consider this carefully as it will require a
lot of work. It may be difficult if not impossible to complete within
the GSOC timeframe and would require a serious commitment above and
beyond the summer of code.
That said, your best starting point is to check the mailing list
archive for related discussions and patches. [1]
You can also check pointers in the wiki pages [2]

Unrelated, it would be great if you can avoid using HTML email and
doing top posts. This is our way.
In general we use the same approach as lkml [2]
See also [4]
--
Cordially
Philippe Ombredanne