NOMMU bogus syscall return values

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Thu Mar 3 01:01:21 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 05:59:44PM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On 29 Feb 2016 15:56, Rich Felker wrote:
[...]
> > The attached (very hackish at the moment) patch makes it work for me
> > by eliminating the need to define NOMMU_SYSTEM to 1 and using clone()
> > with CLONE_VM and a new stack for the child, instead of vfork. I see
> > some potential issues that need to be addressed before this could be
> > made into a proper solution, though:
> >
> > 1. I'm not sure if all NOMMU systems strace supports have clone. If
> >    so, I think vfork could be dropped completely and this used
> >    instead.
>
> uClibc has long required clone, so seems safe to assume it exists

strace assumes that PTRACE_SETOPTIONS works, which essentially means that
linux kernel >= 2.6 is required.  On some architectures, newer kernel is
required (e.g. >= 2.6.15 on mips for PTRACE_GETREGS support).  I don't
know for sure whether all supported NOMMU systems have CLONE_VM, but
I agree with Mike it seems safe to assume they do.