Query regarding Gsoc idea "Structured output"

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Thu Feb 18 22:08:39 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:10:51PM +0530, haris iqbal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If I am not mistaken, I had seen this idea in the previous years Gsoc
> event also.

Correct.  More than that, there has been a GSoC project on this topic in 2014.

> Did it not get any good proposals, or was it not chosen because it is
> not important?

I think this project requires very deep understanding of strace code.
To implement structured output in the right way, a lot of small and
repetitive changes would have to be done, almost every function would have
to be overhauled, all tprints and tprintf calls would have to be replaced.
All this needs a good test coverage.  In other words, this project is
definitely not something for the faint of heart.