GSOC Projects proposals

haris iqbal haris.phnx at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 16:38:56 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 1:51 PM, Gabriel Laskar <gabriel at lse.epita.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is my 2 projects proposal for GSOC 2016.
>
> Fault injection for syscalls
> Suggested by: Gabriel Laskar
>
> Strace is basically a big pattern matcher for syscalls. It is mainly
> used for diagnostics and debugging purpose. But it seems that with a
> code base like this we could do more. We receive an event at the start
> and end of a syscall, and we have th possiblity to cancel a syscall,
> and affect the output.
>
> The basic idea is here to be able to inject some faults in programs, in
> order to stress test them.

This actually sounds very interesting to me. I mean if this works,
then strace could enter into a list of tools for stress testing also.
This can be used by many programmers to check if they are handling
their return values and possible errors in a safe manner or not.
Sometimes in a big project it is very difficult.

> For example, we should be able to express that mmap() calls should fail
> 10% of the time. We could reuse `-e` option for that.

Although merging it with the -e option does not sound good. As this
seems like a completely different idea. We can use some code to mark
the system calls to be stress tested like we do for the -e option, and
then use that along with another option to make a particular system
call fail through probability.