strace 4.15 released

Steve McIntyre steve at einval.com
Mon Dec 19 18:30:29 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 01:58:11PM +0300, Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
>Starting with version 4.13, strace follows the schedule of linux kernel
>and new versions of strace are released along with new version of linux
>kernel.  So strace 4.15 is tagged and uploaded.
>
>This is the first strace release that supports syscall fault injection,
>the implementation is based on the prototype developed by Nahim El Atmani
>as a part of his GSoC 2016 strace project.
>
>strace 4.15 would not be as good as it is without significant assistance
>by Eugene Syromyatnikov who authored around half of all commits since 4.14.
>
>I'd like to use this opportunity to thank all who contributed to this release.
>
>$ git tag -v v4.15 2> /dev/null | sed '0,/:$/d'

I'm seeing test suite failures on mips[1], mipsel[2] and mips64el[3]
on Debian machines.

The 32-bit builds are both showing issues with fault injection. I
can't follow what the code is meant to be doing here, so no
ideas on what's wrong. :-(

The mips64el failures are problems in pwritev and readahead, then a
sefault in newfstatat. The backtrace from that isn't very helpful;
maybe it's a toolchain problem here:

(gdb) r
Starting program: /home/93sam/build/strace/strace.git/tests/newfstatat
warning: GDB can't find the start of the function at 0xfff7fcc2c8.

    GDB is unable to find the start of the function at 0xfff7fcc2c8
and thus can't determine the size of that function's stack frame.
This means that GDB may be unable to access that stack frame, or
the frames below it.
    This problem is most likely caused by an invalid program counter or
stack pointer.
    However, if you think GDB should simply search farther back
from 0xfff7fcc2c8 for code which looks like the beginning of a
function, you can increase the range of the search using the `set
heuristic-fence-post' command.
warning: GDB can't find the start of the function at 0xfff7fcd04c.
warning: GDB can't find the start of the function at 0xfff7f14038.

0x000000fff7f14038 in ?? () from /lib/mips64el-linux-gnuabi64/libc.so.6
(gdb) bt
#0  0x000000fff7f14038 in ?? () from /lib/mips64el-linux-gnuabi64/libc.so.6

[1] https://www.einval.com/debian/strace/build-logs/mips/2016-12-19-040520-log-minkus-TESTFAIL.txt
[2] https://www.einval.com/debian/strace/build-logs/mipsel/2016-12-19-152924-log-eller-TESTFAIL.txt
[3] https://www.einval.com/debian/strace/build-logs/mips64el/2016-12-19-155929-log-eller-TESTFAIL.txt

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                steve at einval.com
There's no sensation to compare with this