tests: add prctl-name.test, prctl-pdeathsig.test and prctl-tsc.test

Eugene Syromyatnikov evgsyr at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 16:25:06 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 3:29 PM, JingPiao Chen <chenjingpiao at foxmail.com> wrote:
>>Your patch has been applied in master,
>>https://github.com/strace/strace/commit/d945e74377fe069de0fe1aa2823442cf8dbdbb52
>>. Thank you for your contribution.
>
> What can I contribute more? This is my first times contribute open source
> software,
> lack of experience, I cann't find the way deep learning strace. Can you give
> me some
> advice? Thanks.
Well, there are two main fields which are easy to start from:
 * Better decoding of syscalls. From my point of view, the one thing
which significantly lacks support is various ioctl calls; Linux has a
tremendous amount of various ioctl calls supported by various drivers
and subsystems; the most likely candidates for adding are the most
useful, usually, some generic subsystems or commonly used device
drivers. One such example is a support for bluetooth ioctls: [1]
 * Test coverage. Since the structured output project is expected to
be merged in the one of the future releases, it is importnat to be
sure that nothing broken accidentally during the transition. Good set
of decoder tests is one (rather significant) part of making sure that
strace output would not changed unexpectedly. As Dmitry previously
pointed out, you can check out which parts of strace's code are not
covered with tests with LCOV (./configure CFLAGS='-O0'
--enable-code-coverage && make && make check && make
code-coverage-capture) or codecov page [3]. Note, hovewer, that not
all tests are the same and not simply coverage itself is important,
but actual testing of all the corner cases which checks whether
specific decoder works as intended (in accordance with documentation
and/or actual kernel implementation, from the original implementation
to the current one). As you may note, ioctl decoders (among other
things), again, lack proper test coverage.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=358248
[2] https://github.com/lineprinter/strace/blob/structured/README-structured.md
[3] https://codecov.io/gh/strace/strace

--