4.10 crash

John Fleming john at spikefishsolutions.com
Wed Apr 6 02:08:51 UTC 2016

Hi all! First off a quick bit of history. I have a Checkpoint firewall
running busybox with glibc 2.5 linux 2.6.22.18 and a arm ARM926EJ-S rev 1
(v5l). I spent around 3 months pushing my known how, but after countless
searches, lfs attempts and many rounds of cursing, I have what I think its
a working cross compile environment. Strace was one of the main reasons I
wanted to do get this cross compiler going.

So.. Now that I have done that and found that strace will crash when i
using the -f option when calling checkpoint's cli utility. I don't know if
there are other commands that will do this, but I know Checkpoint's cli
will fork/create many other sub processes.

In this example i'm just asking cli utilty what the BGP as number is. I'm
running this as uid 0 under bash.

So .. for example.

/strace -o /logs/output.txt -s 1048 -f clish -c "show as"
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
[Expert at FW#
Autonomous system number: 0

Strace crashes, clish (this is the checkpoint shell) works fine.

Side note, strace seems to work without the -f option.

Here is a backtrace. I recompiled with -O0, but i don't know enough about
gdb to take this any further. BTW gdb was built with same cross compiler.

Core was generated by `/strace -o /logs/output.txt -s 1048 -f clish -c show
as'.
Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
#0  0x4009b094 in strlen () from /lib/libc.so.6
(gdb) where
#0  0x4009b094 in strlen () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0x4008d138 in fputs_unlocked () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2  0x00025818 in tprints (str=0x0) at strace.c:562
#3  0x0003104c in printflags (xlat=0x3e23c <sock_type_flags>, flags=0,
dflt=0x3edd0 "SOCK_???") at util.c:345
#4  0x00019628 in tprint_sock_type (flags=0) at net.c:729
#5  0x00019698 in sys_socket (tcp=0x6b210) at net.c:738
#6  0x0002b3d4 in trace_syscall_entering (tcp=0x6b210) at syscall.c:1832
#7  0x0002be7c in trace_syscall (tcp=0x6b210) at syscall.c:2426
#8  0x000294f8 in trace () at strace.c:2240
#9  0x000295e8 in main (argc=9, argv=0xbe96ec74) at strace.c:2290

the build host is CentOS 5.11, gcc 4.1.2, glibc 2.5 (plus centos patches)

the cross compiler is

gcc 4.1.1, glibc (plus random patches i've been grabbing from lfs, bug
reports, ubuntu and a few other places, its been a lord of the rings
journey).

I know there is a chance its a problem with my cross compiler, (target is
arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi btw).

Here is configure output.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cnf.spikefishsolutions.com/600+-+1100/strace/configure-out.txt

Here is make output.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cnf.spikefishsolutions.com/600+-+1100/strace/make-out.txt

Anyone feedback on what to do would be great.

Thanks for everyone's time!