[GSOC2015] JSON Formatting

Louis Feuvrier louis at feuvrier.org
Tue Mar 3 15:00:09 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

My name is Louis Feuvrier and I'm a student at EPITA, a computer science
school in Paris. I have been working on low-level problems for most of
my time at school now and always felt drawn to open source development.
I've wanted to contribute to something useful to others.

The proposal about re-working on the JSON output formatting interests
me. It feels like an abstraction problem that I can manage. What also
seduced me about this project is that the code base is still relatively
small, and would allow me to grasp a lot of the logic pretty early on.
The fact that it is widely used is also a great argument for me.

I have taken steps in understanding more accurately the problem at hand
by downloading the (quite consequent) patch from Zhu YangMin and taking
a look at it.

Thus far, I feel like the abstraction is not quite there. However, as I
have not dived as deep as Zhu, I am not sure up to what point my idea of
abstracting the whole {t,j}print{f,s} output functions is feasible. I
have to say that the output formatting logic in the middle of the
general code path is verbose to say the least.

Regarding the work to do aside from the one already achieved by Zhu,
what exactly are the code paths not covered? I would like to know more
about it before drafting my proposal.

I'm trying to read-up on the mailing list and the decisions taken last
year as part of the GSOC2014. If you know how to retrieve a more
text-based and readable version of the archive, I would be glad to
know about it as well.

I also feel compelled to inform you that I was supposed to take part in
the GSOC2014 last year, but did not due to health reasons that disabled
my ability to access a computer.

You can get to know more about me on my modest webpage[1]. My most
recent work as a developer and Teaching Assistant of my school's kernel
course and exercises is unfortunately only partially viewable[2], as
some parts of it are used as correction material.

[1] http://louis.feuvrier.org
[2] http://git.lse.epita.fr/?p=stos-student.git;a=summary

--
Louis 'manny' Feuvrier