[GSOC 2014] - Yangmin's current work

Philippe Ombredanne pombredanne at nexb.com
Tue May 20 16:19:01 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 5:59 PM, yangmin zhu <zym0017d at gmail.com> wrote:
>I am really new to open source project
> and feel some kind lost about how the open source development work.

Hang in there, you are here to learn... ;)

> I found the strace code changing every week. And I will merge the
> latest strace code to my github regularly to keep up to date.

You best bet is to rebase frequently.

> I am going to do some cleaning on my github. I tried some git commands
> and it seems brought some small problems to the repository. And I need to study
> more about git and the source control things.

If you are lost a bit with Git there are some GUI wrapper tools that
can help at start to tame the beast.
There are a few good tutorials out there. Tell us if you need some pointers.

> In my strace_GSOC2014 repository, I had made a tag v1.0 to the base strace code.

You could start from a fresh clone, branch from the same point you
tagged as 1.0 and then apply your changes on top.
The  you can merge or rebase to the tip to strace master to get fully
up to date.
You are in for some good manual diffing ..... ;)

--
Cordially
Philippe Ombredanne