Advanced and improved absolute paths decoding

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Tue Mar 11 05:36:18 UTC 2014

On Mon 03 Mar 2014 10:26:22 Philippe Ombredanne wrote:
> or possibly (not sure which form I like best) using a more compact
> entirely and positional list of lists:
> [
>     "open",
>     "-1",
>    [
>         "/usr/lib/locale/UTF-8/LC_CTYPE",
>         "O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC"
>     ]
> ]

that's a good way to not be future-proof.  considering you're already
serializing to json, adding a few extra fields to keep things sane isn't
really going to hurt.

if performance is an issue, that's where a binary output format would come in
rather than making the json so terse as to be a pita to maintain.  especially
considering the point is to make an interface that other tools can build on
top of sanely, and breaking the json output straight up isn't useful.

although quibbling over the exact output format doesn't really matter to the
internal design aspects (which is the majority of the work is going to be
anyways).  the strace code base would have a framework to call an output
module and that would take care of the exact output details.
-mike