GSOC: Structured output

Philippe Ombredanne pombredanne at nexb.com
Sun Mar 2 12:22:28 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Dennis Borisevich <elfmax at tut.by> wrote:
> Hello.
> My name is Denis Borisevich. I am a Belarusian State University
> second-year student and I wish to participate in this year's Google
> Summer of Code. I am a fan of Unix-like systems and pure C programming.

Hi Boris!
Welcome and thank you for your interest in strace!

> I like the "Structured Output" idea, and I think it can be extended to
> a 'modular' output API or similar.
>
> That means, I think that using a special command line switch strace can
> be forced to output JSON/XML/${anything standardized} to stderr, or it
> can be forced to bind to/create a socket and place the output in there.

With a command line flag to get a structured output the existing
"classical" output would not be created at all in this case.

> I can come up with other ideas to extend this one, but I am afraid if
> it can make strace a little bit bloated.

One goal of a structured output could be to streamline the way output
is created both for structured and classical output, IMHO such that
formatting an output is not mixed with the actual decoding of the
calls.

Could you elaborate on your ideas?

--
Philippe Ombredanne