Advanced and improved absolute paths decoding

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Sun Mar 2 11:44:12 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 02, 2014 at 11:54:57AM +0100, Philippe Ombredanne wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 2:28 AM, Dmitry V. Levin <ldv at altlinux.org> wrote:
>
> > Fourth, I think -yy should also "canonicalize" socket descriptors, i.e.
> > print their addresses in <> form, resembling lsof(8) output.  This would
> > be a really nice feature.
>
> Indeed that would be awesome and help a lot with tracing network related calls.
>
> I think you meant this lsof output, for instance from a wget invocation:
>
> COMMAND     PID        USER   FD   TYPE    DEVICE SIZE/OFF     NODE NAME
> wget    3695865 pombredanne    3u  IPv4 125707086      0t0      TCP
> myhost.local:56120->ch3.sourceforge.net:http (ESTABLISHED)
>
> How would you report this?
>
> Would this work for the example above?:
> 3<socket:[125707086] IPv4, TCP, "myhost.local:56120",
> "ch3.sourceforge.net:http">
> where:
> - IPv4 would be the type as reported by lsof(8)
> - TCP, "myhost.local:56120" and  "ch3.sourceforge.net:http" would the
> parts of the node name as reported by lsof(8)

Employing network address resolving in strace is risky because of
potentially huge delays it may cause.
By mentioning "lsof" I rather meant "lsof -n".

The exact output format may vary, but the general idea of strace decoding
is to mimic C syntax.  From this PoV, path names should always be enclosed
in double quotes.  Unfortunately, in case of -y output this rule hasn't
been enforced, so you cannot distinguish a socket with inode 1234567 with
a file named "socket:[1234567]".