GSOC 2014~

ChenQin warptencq at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 11:43:35 UTC 2014

HI~

HERE IS MY REQUEST FOR GSOC 2014~

Name:ChenQin

Title:Downstream patches roundup and ushering

Abstract : The goal of this project would to review available patches and bugs from the key downstream maintainers and either contribute these as patches to strace when relevant or work with the downstream maintainers to contribute their patches back to strace. Ideally mini tools should be created to collect these bugs and patches automatically on a regular basis to inform the strace community of bugs and conversation happening elsewhere than on the strace mailing list.

Idea:
So my idea is to build a mini tool,collect these bugs and patches,and i will check if these patches are right,and test it automatically.And separate the bug by type etc.At last build a regular output to post some where like community.

Previous work:
I have do the whole work like the paper. http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2310707
In that project,we collect lots of patches and check if it's correct.

And i have notice that this kind of problem seems populate,like https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/06/msg00720.html
Crash analyze and patches analyze and effectiveness test is also required.
So this kind of downstream work is important and fun.The key problem is how to review and how to do this thing automatically.

For solved problems,i just grab the patches.
For automatic solve unsolved issues,i will down both version before and after that branch,and run all test and test cases,
if they all pass,i will assume that patch is correct and the corresponding issue is solved.

some of my example code and patches will like this:

for unix and linux distros, https://github.com/torvalds/linux/graphs/commit-activity
according this url,they have 600 commits per week average.
And they have 599 such patched(described in that paper)for 3 years for linux_kernel.

Skills:
Python or C  is enough,may some bash script.
buildbot maybe useful

Contribute:
Write module for Metasploit Project.
A tool for developing and executing exploit code against a remote target machine
Write patched for Gitlab Project.
https://www.gitlab.com/vulnerability-acknowledgements/

Plan:
i have a holidays on Augest about 4weeks.

Cheers~

ChenQin
Phone:13811561343
Mail:warptencq at gmail.com
Address:Tsinghua University 1-213/4-204 100084