GSOC - Re: Introduction

Philippe Ombredanne pombredanne at nexb.com
Sat Mar 1 21:04:30 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 3:31 PM, Rajul Srivastava
<rajul.iitkgp at gmail.com> wrote:
> My name in Rajul, and I am a final year undergraduate student at the Indian
> Institute of Technology Kharagpur. I wish to participate in Google Summer of
> Code 2014, and while going through the list of organisations, I came across
> "strace". I am proficient with programming languages C/C++, Python, Java,
> Groovy, Ruby. I am very interested in the fields of System Programming,
> Computer Organisation and Architecture and Operating Systems.
>
> I have always been interested in programming and in the past I have
> participated in Google Summer of Code 2012, with the organisation Network
> Time Foundation,working on the project "improving the Logging/Debugging
> System of Network Time Protocol Software". I have also interned in the
> Global Technology division of Barclays, during the summers of 2013, working
> with the Market Risk IT team. Besides I have worked on a few Research
> projects in the fields of Computational Finance, Complex Networks, and
> Computational Chemistry. I am currently working on my Thesis project in the
> field of Computational Sciences on a project titled "Network Analysis of
> Chemical Reactions". I have had courses in the fields of Programming and
> Data Structures, Complex Networks, Distributed Systems, Algorithms,
> Operations Research in the past.
>
> I have gone through the list of project ideas and I found most of the
> project ideas very interesting. Although I find all the projects listed
> worth a while, I am particularly interested in the "Reliable
> multiarchitecture support" and "Advanced and improved absolute paths
> decoding" projects. I suppose that my programming background is suitable for
> these projects.
>
> I shall be grateful if anyone can help me and give me reference to the
> documentation that I may use to get myself started with the code-base and
> also shed some light on how I can go about making a successful proposal.

Thank you for your interest!
There is not much of documentation beyond the source code itself.
Studying the code and the list is the best approach to construct your proposal
As for absolute path decoding you can see some recent emails on the topics.
fThe point is that certain systems calls take a combination of initial
directory and a path or just a path that is relative to the current
working directory tracked by the kernel. You can check pathtrace.c for
the code that does the actual path decoding

Dmitry may be able to comment on multi-architecture support and you
should also search the mailing list archive.

--
Philippe