[GSOC 2014][JSON] stacktrace in JSON format

yangmin zhu zym0017d at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 14:56:41 UTC 2014

Hi, Yamato

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 11:19 AM, Masatake YAMATO <yamato at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi, YangMin
>
> I have not read the thread about your work, JSON format because I
> have concentrated on unwind(stacktrace) patch. (The patch is finally
> merge into the master tree!)
>
> Will your work conver the output of stacktrace?

I'm now working on the relatively stable parts of strace, for example
I'm modifying those functions in io.c which didn't change rapidly.
I'm not sure whether I have enough time to cover the output of
stackstrace before the pencil down time of GSOC 2014,
But I would like to continue my work to cover the output of stacktrace
after GSOC 2014.

> If yes, please, read the rest of this mail.
>
> In the future I'd like to add source file name, source file line and
> more to the tuple. So I'm happy if the JSON format is extensible. If
> it it difficult, it is good to add the version number of format to the
> format itself.

As you can see, I used a hook framework to output in JSON format, and
Of course, I want make it easy-to-use and extensible.
I'm now modifying the existing output functions (such as sys_read() in
io.c) to use my hook framework.
I must mentioned that the hook framework is changing rapidly now, it's
not stable and I'm also modifying the
hook framework depending on the experience I got when I modifying
functions such as sys_read().

Thank you!
---
YangMin