Structured output?

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Tue Feb 4 23:43:25 UTC 2014

On Sun, Feb 02, 2014 at 09:39:35PM +0100, Philippe Ombredanne wrote:
> Hi,
> I was wondering if there could be something to make parsing of a
> strace output a tad easier.
>
> In fact even though not too complex, parsing a strace output can be
> almost as involved as the strace code that encodes the output itself.
> It could be a csv output or a json  or yaml ouput or something that
> would have some inherent structure that would make it easier to parse,
> so that a strace user that wants to interpret the output can focus on
> the interpretation of the data rather that having to handle the
> interpretation of the strace output first.
>
> In that something that has been already discussed?
> Any thoughts?

strace output format resembles C syntax.
And yes, it's so old that it probably predates html. :)

Printing of decoded C constructs is mostly open-coded, thus making any
attempt to produce output in other formats a huge task.  From another
side, this open-codedness is error-prone, so there are probably some
mistakes in corner cases waiting to be spotted.  Support of other formats
inevitably means introducing some API for structured output, which will
hopefully eliminate this class of mistakes, so that even users of
traditional strace output format may benefit.