detach() logic

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Wed Jun 19 12:35:31 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 01:11:56PM +0200, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> Dmitry, I am a bit worried about the flow in this function still.
> Let's take a look:
>
>                 error = ptrace(PTRACE_DETACH, tcp->pid, 0, 0);
>                 if (error == 0) {
>                         /* On a clear day, you can see forever. */
>                 }
>                 else if (errno != ESRCH) {
>                         /* Shouldn't happen. */
>                         perror_msg("detach: ptrace(PTRACE_DETACH, ...)");
>                 }
>                 else
>                 /* ESRCH: process is either not stopped or doesn't exist. */
>                 if (my_tkill(tcp->pid, 0) < 0) {
>                         if (errno != ESRCH)
>                                 /* Shouldn't happen. */
>                                 perror_msg("detach: checking sanity");
>                         /* else: process doesn't exist. */
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Well, it may not exist already, but was it *waited for*?
> IOW: we may still need to enter waitpid loop.
> This may rarely trigger - say, we do "strace -p PROCESS",
> and process exits just as we ^C the strace,
> and we may end up here.
> OTOH, not-waited-for child reparents to init when we exit,
> so... do we ever detach() NOT not strace exit, where dead
> children are a problem? I see one location:
>   if (event == PTRACE_EVENT_EXEC) {
>       if (detach_on_execve && !skip_one_b_execve)
>               detach(tcp); /* do "-b execve" thingy */
> Maybe in the name of correctness we should wait for the process
> if we see ESRCH? Possibly with WHOHANG for paranoid reasons.

In case of "-b execve", the tracee is in syscall-stop state already, so
PTRACE_DETACH should succeed and there should be no need to wait (and if
PTRACE_DETACH failed, then the tracee is no more so strace is expected
to wait for it).

I see no reason why detach() called from cleanup() should have to call
PTRACE_DETACH for TCB_ATTACHED tracees.  At strace exit, those tracees
that have TCB_IGNORE_ONE_SIGSTOP bit set (can happen in !use_seize case)
have to be waited for SIGSTOP and PTRACE_CONT'ed (otherwise they would be
left stopped after strace exit), all the rest TCB_ATTACHED tracees should
be fine as they are.