Backtraces and strace-plus

Alexander Toresson alexander.toresson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 20:34:35 UTC 2012

Hello strace developers,

A while ago I stumbled upon strace-plus
(http://code.google.com/p/strace-plus/) which provides a stack
backtrace for every system call. I found this very useful, and was for
a while considering packaging it for Debian. However, I realized that
it would be much better if this functionality could be merged into
strace.

The current version of strace-plus is not fit for merging. For
example, libunwind likely needs to be made optional, it needs to use
the system libunwind, a command line option to enable stack traces
needs to be introduced, the preprocessing program for stack traces
might need to be translated to C and included in the strace binary (to
avoid a dependency on Python when used, if desirable), and it needs to
be adapted to the latest development version of strace.

In any case, my big question is: Would a patch to produce a stack
trace for every system call be accepted by you, and what requirements
would you place upon it?

Regards, Alexander Toresson