strace: pid 0 exited with 0

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Tue Sep 6 14:05:39 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 10:49:23AM +0100, Stringfellow, Justin wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I'm trying to use strace on rhel to get some info on what a process is spending it's time doing. The first problem I'm getting is that strace -c alone is just hanging without executing anything. When I use the debug flag, things seem to proceed, but fail before exiting:
[...]
> $ yum list | grep -i strace
> strace.x86_64                              4.5.18-5.el5_5.5       installed

You've contacted the mailing list strace-devel where we mostly discuss
issues related to strace development.  The strace version your are asking
advice for is more than 3 years old, so the first thing I can suggest is
to try the latest released version, which is 4.6 atm.  I suppose nobody
is going to verify and fix bugs in 4.5.18.  However, as a RHEL5 user,
you could try to contact their support.

[...]
> Our corporate environment currently doesn't have anything newer than the version we have installed on this machine. Does the 4.6 release fix an issue like this? I don't want to spend time leaning on our engineering guys to provide 4.6 if it's not going to solve the problem. Apologies if it's an faq, I'm having trouble reading the mailing list archives.

The most noteworthy change in strace-4.6 is that it implements (I am
citing NEWS file) "a new method of following clone, fork, and vfork
syscalls using the Linux kernel's explicit facilities for tracing
creation of threads and child processes".

BTW, strace can be built from source and run without installing as a
system utility.