RFC: path display and path filtering features.

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 21:48:10 UTC 2011

Attached are my current diffs. I've merged recent changes from the
main git repository and addressed various comments.

The notable changes are addition of handling for 'select' syscalls,
'poll' syscalls, and 'epoll_ctl'.

There are a few more changes that have been discussed, but my
understanding is that we've decided to delay them until after the
existing features have been merged:

 1) Canonicalization of arguments that are relative paths.

 2) Canonicalization of arguments that are (fd, relpath) tuples.

 3) Filtering based on retrun-values that are file dscriptors.

Numbers 1 and 2 probably aren't difficult, but there is some question
as to their reliability.  Number 3 would take more thought because the
decision to display a system call or not is made at the entry of the
system call, and "un-doing" that decision when the system call returns
would be messy.

--
Grant Edwards