s390/s390x ioctls

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Tue Feb 22 18:00:05 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, February 22, 2011 05:19:08 Heiko Carstens wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 04:04:21PM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > anyone know what's going on with the s390 ioctls in ioctlent.h that are 8
> > hex digits long instead of the normal 4 ?  they date back to the
> > original port (done in 2002).  seems like garbage that can be thrown
> > away ...
>
> The more interesting question would be why the strace ioctl code seems to
> ignore a couple of bits of the ioctl commands. In particular it seems to
> ignore the direction and size bits.

so, for practical purposes today, the extra ioctls in the s390 headers are not
necessary and may safely be punted.  i'm trying to unify all the duplicated
ioctlent content and this was the only hold out.

if, down the line, we want to fix strace itself, we can do that.  then we'd
add the size/direction info to all linux ports.
-mike