RFC: path display and path filtering features.

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Fri Feb 18 23:22:21 UTC 2011

> For my use cases, it's acceptable to expect the user to enter a
> canonical path and expect the program to open the file with a
> canonical path. I expect that there are other common use cases where
> that's not acceptable.

That seems fine enough to start out with, and worry about more later.

It might be that what users really want is just to be able to give
fnmatch-style patterns (w/o FNM_PATHNAME) so it's easy to match multiple
different ways to find a file name.  That doesn't help with symlinks in the
final component, of course.  For that, you might really want to
canonicalize both the name-to-match and traced names.

Thanks,
Roland