RFC: path display and path filtering features.

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 15:47:07 UTC 2011

On 2011-02-17, Dmitry V. Levin <ldv at altlinux.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 06:10:55PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> [...]
>> Would people be agreeable to adding argument type info (or argument
>> format function pointers) to the sysent table?  In addition to making
>> the fd/path match function simpler, it might allow the "printargs"
>> function to handle many more cases.
>
> Such an extension is definitely useful.  The only drawback is that
> someone would have to update linux/*/syscallent*.h files.

Updating all 19 architectures is probably beyond what I can justify,
and right now I only have the ability to test on IA32.  With some
additional work I could setup systems to test on AMD64 and ARM, but
that would have to be done in my spare time.

I could envision a first pass where only information about location of
file descriptor and path args is added and the system call display
functions are pretty much left as-is (using hard-wired parameter
decoding rather than table-driven, but with the addition of
"printfd()" calls similar to "printpath()" calls).

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'm also pre-POURED
                                  at               pre-MEDITATED and