Trace operations on a particular file/device?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 18:14:10 UTC 2011

One of the things my customers and I often need to do is to trace
system calls on a particular serial port (e.g. /dev/ttyS2).

Right now, the only way I can figure out how to do that is to trace
everytihng and then post-process the results to filter out what I care
about.  Unfortunately, "everything" can result in traces so huge that
approach isn't very practical.

Is there some combination of options that I've missed that would allow
tracing just operations on a particular device?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! It's OKAY -- I'm an
                                  at               INTELLECTUAL, too.