Silent build patch for strace

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Wed Sep 15 23:21:28 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 04:09:22AM +0300, Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 06:13:10PM -0800, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > > I'd rather added
> > > m4_ifdef([AM_SILENT_RULES], [AM_SILENT_RULES])
> > > instead, thus keeping default behaviour unchanged.
> >
> > Agreed.  But I think it's fine to just require the automake version that
> > has the macro.
>
> I was going to apply this change:
> -AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([foreign check-news dist-bzip2 no-dist-gzip])
> +AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([foreign check-news dist-bzip2 no-dist-gzip silent-rules])
>
> but, unfortunately, there seems to be a bug in automake: silent-rules
> support is not compatible with --disable-dependency-tracking yet.  Passing
> --disable-dependency-tracking option to configure causes garbage both in
> silent and verbose output.  I'm going to report this bug, and I'd like to
> avoid silent-rules until it is fixed.

That GNU automake bug was fixed upstream long time ago:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=automake.git;a=commit;h=v1.11-52-gc150e6c
This fix was merged both to stable and development branches of automake,
so I'm sure that new automake releases will have the bug fixed.

Since the automake I use to prepare release tarballs is also fixed,
I think it's OK to apply the change now.