upeek: ptrace(PTRACE_PEEKUSER,11730,2240,0): No such process

Rami Shaft (GMail) rami.shaft at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 11:53:07 UTC 2010

Dear All,

I am using strace version 4.5.18 on a 64bit Linux machine.

I tried to monitor a long *parallel make *build process using the command :
"strace -f -F -i -t -e trace=execve,chdir,fork,vfork,clone,exit_group -s
100000 -o strace.txt make"

I received many error messages like "upeek:
ptrace(PTRACE_PEEKUSER,11730,2240,0): No such process" and after 90% of the
build *the build and strace got stuck*
Without strace the build finish successfully.

Final print from strace (just before everything got stuck) is "upeek:
ptrace(PTRACE_PEEKUSER,process id,2240,0): No such process" were the process
id is the id of the first process.. i.e the first make process.

I would be very thankful If anyone can share a solution with me regarding
this issue.

Many thanks,

Rami