I: approaching 4.5.20 release

Jamie Lokier jamie at shareable.org
Tue Apr 13 07:29:02 UTC 2010

Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 03:24:52PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > Sounds OK to me.  It would be nice to resolve Andreas's PTRACE_SETOPTIONS
> > patches first, but not essential if it introduces delays.
>
> Yes, it would be nice, but that change isn't quite obvious, and I have
> only two days left.  So, I'd rather postpone the change.

I'm not sure what Andreas's PTRACE_SETOPTIONS patches are, as I've
just joined the list.

But I have just written a different PTRACE_SETOPTIONS patch to use
PTRACE_O_TRACE{FORK,VFORK,CLONE}, so that it's possible to trace vfork
without converting it to fork.  That is essential on uClinux where
fork isn't an option, and tracing vfork just freezes with the current
strace.  But it's also a cute improvement for regular Linux.

It works well and I've tried to keep it as tidy as one can given the
messy strace starting point, but I'm sure that it needs a round of
review before it is committed, if it ever is.

What's the interested level in that kind of patch?

Thanks,
-- Jamie