preparing to 4.5.19 release

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Thu Oct 8 02:03:14 UTC 2009

> Mike Frysinger already submitted a fix for this issue, I'm going to check
> it on x86 and x86-64, and merge it if everything is OK.

Ok.

> Another small issue is file timestamps in release tarball.
> Since git does not store timestamps, all files will have current mtime
> after checkout, while we still package files with last modification in
> previous century (e.g. PORTING).

I honestly just don't see any problem there.  Nobody cares what the
timestamps are, as long as configure is newer than configure.ac and that
sort of thing (not that they should complain anyway if they decided to use
--enable-maintainer-mode).

> There is a script, git-set-file-times, which could be called right after
> checkout to set mtime and atime of files to their latest commit time in git:
> http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=rsync.git;a=blob_plain;f=support/git-set-file-times
>
> I suggest to use it for preparing release tarball.

What I've always used is just 'make distcheck' (and now 'make srpm'), just
based on my own checkout with whatever working file state it has (making
sure manually that it's a clean checkout of the tagged state, of course).
I can't tell if you are suggesting some new automation, or just encouraging
that whoever does 'make distcheck' runs this thing on their working tree
first.  Since I'm looking to get out of being the one who does that step in
future cycles, it's not really my reaction that matters.

Thanks,
Roland