scm choice

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Tue Feb 24 00:34:54 UTC 2009

On Monday 23 February 2009 19:09:44 Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 01:46:35PM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > now that sf.net supports git, could we talk about transition ? :)
>
> Does it also support automated git-cvsimport?
> If not, I can share my cvs-authors file. :)

i looked around at the documentation and unless i missed something, there is
no automatic support for converting between the different scm's that sf.net
offers.  ive converted from cvs->svn with them in the past and their support
basically boils down to documentation showing you how to:
 - get raw cvs snapshot
 - convert it with some svn utils into raw svn dump
 - upload svn dump

as for cvs->git, getting the raw cvs snapshot via their backup mechanism will
probably greatly speed up the converting process.  so the convert steps would
probably be something like:
 - get raw cvs snapshot
 - convert it git-cvsimport
 - use `git push` to mirror the converted repo to sf.net

i have done svn->git with them, but that was easier as git-svn is a lot more
robust for going between the two

personally, i already have a git tree mirroring the cvs (branches & tags) ...
just no author info.  i can use git filter-branch to add author info after the
fact though if i had the authors list ... then again, it might be easier for
someone who actually has commit access to take care of it ...
-mike