about syscall.h and syscallent.h

sean yang seanatpurdue at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 13 10:12:01 UTC 2006

Hi,
I am very interested in strace and want to modify it a bit(to investigate a
little more information when intercept a system call) for my own debugging
purpose. I am looking at the code in strace-4.5.14. I found there are two
files syscall.h and syscallent.h under strace-4.5.14/linux. system calls in
syscallent.h are a subset of system calls in syscall.h

I understood that syscallent.h gives the system calls being "intercepted and
processed". However, what does strace do to the system calls not included in
syscallent.h but included in syscall.h? For example, sys_gethostname? I can
see the processing routine for sys_gethostname in strace-4.5.14/process.c.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks a lot,
Sean