strace getting detached from process

Loren Siebert loren at siebert.org
Sat May 14 20:06:02 UTC 2005

I have a highly multi-threaded Java server program that occasionally
has one thread start to consume 100% of a CPU and stay that way for
the life of the application. I'm trying to investigate what that
thread's process is doing with strace, but I just see strace attach
and then detach a few seconds later. This is what I see:

# strace -p 11558
Process 11558 attached - interrupt to quit
--- SIGUSR2 (User defined signal 2) @ 0 (0) ---
Process 11558 detached

I am running 2.4.21-27.0.4.ELsmp with package strace-4.5.6-1.EL (both
standard for RHEL3).

How can I get strace to stay attached to the process and report what
is using all the CPU resources?

If there is a more appropriate list for this sort of question, please
let me know.