Strace port to SuperH SH5

Thomas,Stephen stephen.thomas at superh.com
Thu Feb 27 08:06:27 UTC 2003

Hi Wichert,

Thanks for your reply, we will be sending the patches soon hopefully. However I have a couple of bugs to sort out first!

Perhaps you can help me with one of them - I cannot get the '-f' option to work on our SH5 Linux system. The last version of strace I looked at (V4.2) did this by setting a 'breakpoint' into the cloned process when the traced process did a clone or fork. (The bp actually consisted of a busy loop...).

However V4.4.94 seems to do things differently for Linux. The setbpt() function in util.c does not actually write anything to the target as far as I can see, so how does strace keep control of the cloned process? Is this what the CLONE_PTRACE option is for?

Thanks for any help you can give,

Steve Thomas
SuperH (UK) Ltd.