What version of autoconf do you use?

John Hughes John at Calva.COM
Thu May 23 02:48:02 UTC 2002

I just tried autoconf-2.53 and it's not at all happy:

$ autoheader
WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h', `config.h.bot'
WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for `config.h.in'
WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.

WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a template without
WARNING: `acconfig.h':

WARNING:   AC_DEFINE([NEED_MAIN], 1,
WARNING:             [Define if a function `main' is needed.])

WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be produced, see the
WARNING: documentation.
configure.in:29: /u/local/bin/m4: Bad regular expression
[configure.in:29[: error: [[[back quotes and double quotes should not be
escaped in: [[$as_me:$LINENO: [error: this operating system is not yet
supported by strace]]]]]]]
]configure.in:29: /u/local/bin/m4: ERROR: Recursion limit of 1024
exceeded, use -L<N> to change it
autoheader: autom4te failed with exit status: 1
 at /u/local/bin/autoheader line 163
$